Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mr. F. Reviews: Bring It On The Musical

Let me start by saying I saw the show in it's second night of previews.  I plan to see it again when it opens and will edit as necessary.  Because of confusion, I missed the opening number and will add that at a later time.

Bring it on has a hilarious, campy, book by Jeff Whitty.  Whitty adds comedy with quick wit and knows his audience well - former cheerleaders and those of us Broadway fans who see everything.  While the dialogue is funny this is not a musical that makes you think.  The plot and scenes are very predictable, as is the music - which I was not impressed by.  The show features lyrics by Amanda Green and Lin-Manuel Miranda and music by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tom Kitt.  I am fans of these fantastic artists, but can't say that this is their best product.  For example, I am obsessed with Tom Kitt's work on Next To Normal.  I must say the music does what it intends to do; bring the audience through the story and explore each character.  Even the minor characters get a chance to sing, although I don't really know why?!

The set, or lack there of,  is led by 4 LED screens that provide distraction throughout the entire show with, what I assume are Microsoft Powerpoint displays and some great screen savers.  The only good use was on-stage Skype sessions.

Things I assume will change once out of previews:
  • Sound: The cast and at times the music was over amplified.  
  • Music: I assume some songs will be cut or re-worked.

Synopsis:
Two squads, one mission: claim the title at the National Cheerleading Championships. The challenge: competition between the two teams is nothing compared to the competition inside them...and these girls can bring it.

Quick Notes:
  • Who Should See It? If you're a former cheerleader - get tickets now! The stunts are well worth your ticket price, and I am sure you can relate to the show.
  • Best part of the show? The kick butt cheering and stunts.
  • Actor/Actress? Ryann Redmond as Bridget is very funny and the lead, Taylor Louderman has a great voice and star power. 
  • Best Song? Sorry, I don't think there is one.
Report Card
Cast: B
Set Design: D-
Lighting: B-
Music (songs): D
Orchestra: C-
Direction: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment