Monday, May 9, 2011

Mr. F Reviews: Lysistrata Jones - OFF BROADWAY

Hello Everyone ... So, on Saturday, May 7 I had the great opportunity to attend a full rehearsal for the new off-Broadway musical Lysistrata Jones. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it!!

Let's start with the choreography. I am a huge fan of choreography with props, in this case basketballs. The movements work very well with the music and the transition between blocking and choreography are seamless. The high-energy dances and movements lead to a very entertaining afternoon. By the time the show was over, I was exhausted!


Onto the book. So over the past few months I have become a huge fan of Douglas Carter Beane. It just so happens that I am good friends with his sister - this is totally by chance. I fell in love with Mr. Beane at a production of Little Dog Laughed that a friend of mine was in. The story was touching and funny ... a rare element in theatre that I hadn't seen since Next to Normal. I also read Xanadu and chose it at the production for two summer programs that I run. So, you can imagine my excitement when I got a call to attend Mr. Beane's latest musical in rehearsals.

The book is spectacular. It is funny, witty and all around happy. Quick jokes and spectacular dialogue made me fall in love with the characters and relate to them.

The music by Lewis Flinn is fun and intense. A fun-pop score allows for great transitions between dialogue and song.

Lysustrata Jones plays off-Broadway May 15 - June 19 at The Gym at Judson
243 Thompson Street at Washington Square South

SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment